For the general public and for professionals, on site (in the heart of Paris) or remotely (from all over the world), the 4th edition of NewImages Festival, dedicated to digital creation and virtual worlds, keeps exploring new frontiers and imaginary worlds, challenging tomorrow’s experiences and storytelling and making the best of immersive creation accessible for everyone.
The XR Competition offers an exceptional sample of the diversity of genres and formats seized by immersive creation. 17 works of Virtual reality and Augmented reality, including no less than 9 world Premieres, will be competing to win the Golden Mask and the Jury’s Special Prizes. This year, the jury includes four artists coming from different horizons: the French-Israeli musician, producer and director Yael Naim, the Senegalese stylist and creator Selly Raby Kane, the Swiss director and producer Claude Barras and the French author and filmmaker Bertrand Mandico.
13 works, performances and immersive installations will also be presented in the out-of-competition line-up.
As part of the Africa2020 Season, the NewImages Festival will showcase the newest, brightest and boldest of African creation. At the Forum des images and in the different locations of the festival, this unique focus will make the heart of Paris vibrate to the rhythms of the stories, colors and sounds of this new generation of artists whose emancipating works — both narratively and formally — defy traditional representations and archetypes.
With Industry Days from June 9th to 11th 2021, in real life or remotely, NewImages Festival will also gather international actors of the XR sphere to assess the state of immersive creation and give the impulse for tomorrow’s projects.
The 2021 NewImages Festival Winners!
The 3 Prizes of XR Competition :
- We Are at Home, by Michelle Kranot, Uri Kranot - The “Masque d’Or” (Grand Prize) with a grant of €6,000
- Reeducated, by producers of The New Yorker and the Dirt Empire (US) - The Special Jury Prize VR (ex-aequo) with a grant of €3,000
- Strands of Mind, by Adrian Meyer - The Special Jury Prize VR (ex-aequo) with a grant of €3,000
- Acqua Alta - La traversée du miroir, by Adrien M & Claire B - The Special Jury Prize AR with a grant of €3,000
UniFrance Prize :
- Biolum, by Abel Kohen and Jon Rowe - The best French XR work to export with a grand of €1,000
XR Financing Market :
- Lumières, by Les Films du Tambour de Soie (FR), Small Creative (FR), Auteurs&Cies (FR) - The best Pitch and receives a grand of €1,000
Taiwan VR Residency :
- Encounters, by Mathieu Pradat - Residence for 6 to 8 weeks in Kaohsiung and an endowment of € 10,000
The Institut français participates in the workshop Taiwan & France XR Day and in the roundtable French XR ecosystem : from local schemes to global reach.
In 2018 and 2019, the Institut français organized a Focus on immersive reality in partnership with NewImages festival, in which several African guests invited this year took part.
Most popular within the same topic